Ginger Gems are an old favourite.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Place gem iron in oven to heat.
- Cream 100g of the butter with sugar, ginger and cinnamon.
- Beat in golden syrup and egg, adding a tablespoon or two of flour to prevent curdling.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Dissolve baking soda in the milk. Mix flour into butter mixture alternately with the milk.
- Remove gem iron from the oven and put it on a wooden board.
- Add half a teaspoon of remaining butter to each mould or hollow. It will sizzle.
- Fill moulds with batter. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool slightly then remove gems to cool on a wire rack.
Excellent served warm, split and filled with butter or table spread.