- Heat the first measure of sugar and the milk in a small pot until bubbles form at the side. Remove from the heat.
- Break the stale bread into pieces and put into a baking dish that will hold about 4 cups of mixture.
- Pour some of the hot milk over and, when soft, break the bread up with a fork.
- Add the remaining milk and the vanilla. Cool.
- Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the milk mixture. Stand the baking dish in a roasting dish half-filled with warm water, and bake uncovered at 180C for 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the custard comes out clean.
- Spread the surface of the custard with raspberry jam. (Stir this first if it is firm.)
- Make a meringue by beating the egg whites and salt until the peaks turn over when the beater is lifted, then add the sugar and beat until the mixture stiffens again and forms peaks with turned tips.
- Dot smallish spoonfuls of meringue all over the custard, spread carefully with a knife without mixing the jam through it, then bake for 15 minutes longer or until the higher parts are lightly browned. Serve warm or cool, rewarming if necessary.