Pork chops with lychees and micro salad
( SERVES 4 )
Pork chops go with apple sauce, so why not lychees? It's a combination that has been popular in Chinese cooking for a long time.
Pork chops with lychees
- Choose a dish large enough to hold the chops and add 2 tablesppons of the vegetable oil, 1 stem of lemon grass (smashed with a mallet), fresh hot red chilli (halved, seeded and chopped) and lime leaves (centre ribs removed, finely shredded).
- Add the chops and turn to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the salad, put the sprouts, greens (about 50g of micro cress or baby greens with edible flower petals), herbs (shredded) and lime leaves (centre ribs removed, finely shredded) in a bowl and toss lightly.
- Mix the fish sauce, lime juice and 1 tablespoon of lychee juice (reserved from the can of lychees) in a bowl.
- Cook chops (or cutlets) on a preheated oiled hotplate over medium heat for 3-5 minutes a side until nearly cooked through.
- Spoon on extra marinade to keep them sizzling as they cook.
- Don't overcook the chops should have a pink tinge if cut open. Note that they continue to cook as they rest.
- Alternatively, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook as described.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, add lychees to the hotplate and cook for a few minutes.
- Transfer the chops to a plate when they're done and season with salt. Spoon the lychees on the side or top.
- Quickly mix the dressing through the salad, sprinkle the peanuts on top (optional), and serve with the pork chops and lychees.