( SERVES 12 )
Now that new season apples are plentiful, this cake is also a good choice, especially if you have apples that quickly cook to a pulp, such as Sunrise or Ballarat. A cake takes longer to make and bake than scones, so it is just as well that this one is delicious to eat straight from the oven. I prefer this recipe, in which slices of raw apple are baked in the middle of a light, buttery cake, to the more traditional apple shortcake, which is made with hot stewed apple.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and stir in the grated cheese. Break the egg into a small bowl, add the milk and oil and whisk with a fork.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until mixed.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or baking cloth.
- Bake for about 8 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Makes 12 small puffs.