Kumara coffee praline cakes
( SERVES 12 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|150 g||Caster sugar, (plus extra for the praline)|
|100 g||Ground almonds|
|200 g||Kumara, (peeled and grated)|
|100 g||Rice flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|3 Tbsp||Espresso coffee, (plus extra for icing)|
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 12 hole muffin tray or line with paper cases.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale. Fold in the kumara and ground almonds.
- Sift rice flour, baking powder and salt together and fold in with the espresso.
- Spoon in the tins, leaving a centimetre for rising, then bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the tops spring back.
- To make the icing, whisk the butter until fluffy and pale then add half the icing sugar with the mascarpone.
- Whisk, then add the remaining icing sugar and espresso and beat until smooth. Ice the cooled cakes and top with praline.
- To make the praline, melt the sugar in a warm pan.
- When golden add the almonds, quickly stir, then tip on a lightly greased tray.
- Leave to set then either chop or pulse in a food processor.