Coconut, courgette and rosewater cakes
( SERVES 12 )
|150 g||Caster sugar|
|50 g||Desiccated coconut|
|50 g||Ground almonds|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 12 hole muffing tray or line with paper cases.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale. Fold in the courgette (topped and tailed then grated) and rosewater.
- Fold in the coconut and ground almonds. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and fold into the mixture, giving a final stir to ensure all ingredients are combined. Spoon into tins, leaving ½cm at the top to allow for rising. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently pressed.
- To make the icing; place the ingredients except for the food colouring, into a bowl and sit over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir to dissolve the sugar, which takes about two minutes.
- When the mixture is warm, remove the bowl and beat with electric beaters until cool and peaks have formed. This step will take approximately 8 minutes. When the peaks have formed, add a little food colouring. Either pipe or spoon the icing on to the cold cakes in a swirling pattern.