Roast winter fruit with port and spiced mascarpone
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 knob||Butter, to grease dish|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|2||Oranges, juice and zest|
|4||Tamarillos, peeled but left whole|
|3||Persimmons, peeled and halved|
|4 stalks||Rhubarb, cut into 10cm lengths|
|1 tsp||Ginger, ground|
|½ tsp||Cinnamon, ground|
|1 tsp||Honey, warmed|
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a baking dish with butter. Halve the pears and remove the cores.
- Put into the dish, hollow side up. Sprinkle with sugar and dot each with ½ tsp of butter.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds over the pears. Tuck the bean into the dish.
- Sprinkle over the orange zest and juice. Add the water. Cover tightly with a lid or use foil and roast for 45 minutes.
- Add prepared persimmons and tamarillos to the roasting dish with the port. Recover and return to the oven.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200C. Uncover and add the cut rhubarb, spooning the juices around. Return to the oven for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve hot with the spiced mascarpone; stir the mascarpone together with the ginger, spices and honey.