Cheesy fish pie
This is a recipe that allows you to choose the fish mix. The recipe calls for a seafood marinara mix but you can use hoki or any white fillet fish. Include smoked fish for a little extra flavour.
- Poach 4 cups of seafood in a pan of milk, adding a bay leaf while it is simmering. When the fish is only just cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- In the same warm milk, poach finely diced carrots, potatoes and celery, adding some frozen peas once the vegetables are soft (a total of about 3 cups of vege).
- Strain off the milk and set the vegetables aside. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Make a white sauce using this milk. Don't worry if it looks a bit "ickey". It contains all the fish and vegetable flavours and it will all smooth together. Once you have achieved a thick smooth sauce (you may need to add a bit more liquid ) add a cup of grated cheese.
- Add any juices that have drained from your poached fish and vegetables.
- Add a good amount of chopped parsley, chives, dill or fennel to taste. You may need to season more or sharpen with another squeeze of lemon.
- Layer the fish and vegetables in a pie dish. Pour the sauce over and gently fork it through the ingredients until it's well distributed. Cover with a top of puff pastry. Glaze with a beaten egg yolk and bake in a medium oven until the pastry is cooked and the contents are bubbling.