Mozzarella, cucumber and asparagus
( SERVES 6 )
The simplicity of flavours is what makes this dish stand out. We used chives in the dressing, but fresh chervil would work well here, too. Serve with a crisp sauvignon blanc and crusty bread, if serving for lunch.
- Slice the mozzarella, then cut each slice into quarters. Set aside.
- Cut or snap off the base of each asparagus spear, peel the lower stalks if woody then slice each in half on a diagonal.
- Blanch for 1 minute in boiling salted water then plunge into cold water, drain and dry well. Mix together the chives, oil and lemon juice.
- Toss the asparagus and cucumber with half this dressing, then place on plates.
- Place a few pieces of mozzarella on each plate, drizzle with the remaining dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- The asparagus, cucumber and dressing can be prepared ahead if need be, but once the salad is dressed it should be eaten immediately.