- Finely dice 1 small onion.
- Mince a garlic clove or two and gently cook this with the onion in a little olive oil.
- Add a cup of risotto rice to this and coat the rice with the oily mix to make it glossy.
- Add 4 cups of warm stock. This may be prepared vegetable or chicken stock or make up the equivalent amount of powdered stock. Be careful with your seasoning if using powdered stock as they tend to be very salty.
- Allow the stock to be absorbed by the rice over a low heat, keep stirring.
- Drain a small can of baby beets, and cut each beet into 4.
- When the stock has nearly all been soaked up by the rice add the drained beets.
- We also added a few shredded cavolo nero leaves from the garden. You could drop a bit of spinach in if you had it.
- Keep stirring until the leaves have wilted. Add a cup of grated parmesan cheese and a dash of olive oil. Just before serving add a good amount of fresh chopped parsley and mint. Serve warm in bowls.