Peter Gordon's lemon tart
There are myriad recipes for lemon tart. They're all fairly much the same, but with subtle differences. To read more about lemon tarts from Peter Gordon, go to Kitchen Tips: Ask Peter.
- Whisk the finely grated lemon zest with eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract and caster sugar till foamy, but not fluffy.
- Gently whisk in cream (look for a good rich one) then gently whisk in lemon juice.
- The tart case is always blind baked at 170-180C and should be golden before you add the filling.
- The filling is carefully ladled in, any bubbles that have formed from whisking it carefully scooped off. Bake at anywhere between 110-140C.
- The lower the temperature, the longer it needs to be cooked.
- If you warm the cream when whisking into the eggs, lemon zest and sugar, it'll speed up cooking.