Steamed ginger and lemon pudding
( SERVES 4 )
Lemon and ginger are a great combination in a traditional steamed pudding.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, and grease 4 150ml pudding moulds with a little of the butter.
- Line the base of each mould with a circle of baking paper. Slice one of the lemons into thin circles.
- Place them in a saucepan with the 3 tablespoons of sugar, then cover with water.
- Cook gently over a low heat until soft - about 10 minutes.
- Drain, and place a lemon ring in the bottom of each mould with a little of the cooking syrup.
- Separate the eggs, then cream the yolks with the sugar and zest of the second lemon until thick and white.
- Gradually add the milk and fold in the flour, cinnamon and ginger. Melt the butter and stir into the batter.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft, gentle peaks and fold into the mixture.
- Fill the moulds two-thirds full, cover tightly with aluminium foil and place in a deep roasting dish.
- Pour in enough hot tap water to come halfway up the sides of the moulds.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then remove and turn out onto serving plates.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.