Braised chilli mushrooms with crispy tofu and greens
( SERVES 4 )
|¼ cup||Olive oil, plus 3 Tbsp extra|
|2||Tomatoes, peeled and diced|
|½ cup||White wine|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|400 g||Mushrooms, button or Swiss brown - or use a combination including oyster and morel, some sliced and some left whole|
|1 tsp||Chilli, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Creme fraiche|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|300 g||Tofu - firm, sliced|
- Simmer the olive oil, wine, tomatoes, brown sugar and balsamic with the bay leaves and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and keep warm.
- Increase the heat, add the chilli and creme fraiche then bring the sauce to a boil. Let reduce for 5 minutes then season and pour over the mushrooms.
- Heat a pan and add the second measure of olive oil. When hot, add the slices of tofu and cook until golden and crispy.
- Serve the saucy mushrooms with tofu, steamed greens and rice on the side.