Fried apple doughnuts with vanilla mascarpone
( MAKES 16 )
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|2||Apples, peeled, cored, diced|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Apple juice|
- To make the filling; gently simmer all the ingredients together until soft then leave to cool.
- To make the doughnut mixture; mix the yeast with half of the warmed milk then set aside to begin fermenting.
- Sieve the flour and salt together. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg, sugar and remaining milk together and add to the flour along with the yeast mixture. Gently knead to make a soft dough.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp teatowel. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oil to 175C. Shape the dough into balls, placing the apple filling in the centre.
- Fry until golden, turning to ensure an even colour. Roll in sugar then serve with vanilla mascarpone on the side.