Roasted parsnip and spinach soup
Photo by Babiche Martens
|2 tsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Nutmeg, freshly grated|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, sliced|
|1 tsp||Fresh thyme|
|1 tsp||Fresh rosemary|
|200 g||Potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|300 g||Parsnips, peeled and sliced - 200g for soup plus 100g to serve|
|1½ Ltr||Vegetable stock|
|1 bunch||Spinach leaves, stalks removed and leaves rinsed|
|4 slices||Bread, warmed, to serve|
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a heavy-based soup pot.
- Grate in nutmeg then add onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary, stir until soft then add potato and parsnip.
- Stir for 3 minutes then add the stock, reduce and let cook gently for approximately 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Fry extra parsnip rounds or grill on a hot plate until soft and golden, set aside.
- Puree soup and season. Add spinach leaves.
- Serve topped with the extra parsnip rounds and a drizzle of olive oil.