Portobello mushroom soup with blue cheese toasties
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
A lovely mushroom soup with an extra flavour hit with the addition of blue cheese toasties on the side.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh thyme|
|500 g||Portobello mushrooms, sliced - plus two whole mushrooms extra to garnish|
|½ cup||White wine|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, to season|
|1 tsp||Lemon, zest|
|1 pinch||Chives, to garnish|
|200 g||Blue cheese|
|8 slices||Multigrain bread|
|1 to brush||Olive oil|
- Melt the butter with the thyme leaves and onion in a heavy based soup pot. Add two of the mushrooms, cover and cook gently for 2 minutes, remove and reserve for the garnish.
- Add the rest of the mushrooms, wine, zest, stock and cream.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then puree. Season.
- Keep the soup warm while making the toast.
- Spread the slices of bread with the cheese then brush with olive oil and grill until crisp. Serve soup garnished with mushrooms and chives.