( SERVES 4 )
This is another old favourite using beef schnitzel. Instead of incorporating the mushrooms into the dish, bake large dark mushrooms (from the field if you are lucky) in the oven. Place the mushrooms in a baking dish, season well and be generous with some olive oil. You could add crushed garlic, fresh thyme or a minimal amount of chopped rosemary to give them more character.
- Cook some rice and keep warm.
- Cut 500g of beef schnitzel into 2cm wide long strips.
- Cook these a few at a time in sizzling oil and butter. Season well as you cook.
- Place the cooked meat in a bowl and keep warm.
- Once the strips are all done, cook a finely chopped medium onion in the same pan until it is soft but not browned. Put the onion in the bowl with the meat.
- Add a bit of beef stock to the pan (or some white wine) and scrape up all the bits stuck to the pan base. They give flavour and colour.
- Drain any of the meat juices from the bowl which contains the cooked schnitzel strips. Add this to the pan.
- When the liquids are well combined, remove from the heat and swirl in sour cream.
- Check the seasoning. Mix in the warm meat and onions.
To serve Plate up the cooked flat mushrooms. Pile the stroganoff on top and scatter with lots of fresh chopped parsley. Serve with the plain rice and a nice green vegetable.