Brandy glazed apple spice walnut cake
This beautifully delicious cake has cinnamon and mixed spice that pairs nicely with the apple and walnut. The cake contains no dairy, so substitute the icing for a dairy-free alternative to make it completely dairy-free.
|1¼ cups||Walnuts, chopped|
|2 cups||Caster sugar|
|1½ tsp||Baking soda|
|1½ cups||Vegetable oil|
|1 cup||Ground almonds|
|1¼ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Mixed spice|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|3½ cups||Apples, peeled, cored and diced|
|3 Tbsp||Calvados (apple brandy)|
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a 24cm spring form tin.
- Beat the oil and sugar until thick. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together, then fold through the first mixture with the almonds.
- Combine the walnuts, apples and calvados then fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 1 ½ hours, testing after 1 ¼ hours with a skewer.
- To make the glaze; put all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until the syrup is reduced and thickened.
- Pour over the cooled cake and serve with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt.