Chocolate cake with guavas and gananche
For the guavas
For the cake
|400 g||Butter, (softened)|
|1½ cups||Brown sugar|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|⅔ cup||Cocoa powder|
|200 g||Dark chocolate|
For the ganache
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Put the guavas into a baking dish and drizzle over the honey.
- Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds over the guavas. Add the dessert wine and butter, then roast for 15 minutes or until they begin to soften. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160C. Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in each egg one at a time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and cocoa.
- Chop the chocolate and melt gently either in a small bowl over simmering water or in the microwave.
- Fold the dry ingredients through the egg mixture with the melted chocolate and the milk.
- Spoon into a lined 22cm springform tin and bake for approximately 1 hour - test with a skewer. It may take a further 10 minutes depending on your oven.
- To make the ganache; chop the chocolate and place in a small saucepan. Pour in the cream and melt together gently while stirring until smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the cake, then pile on the guavas. Serve with cream or creme fraiche.