Red wine poached pears with blue cheese brioche
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Peel the pears and leave the stalks on. Slice a sliver off the bottom of each so they sit flat.
- Pour the wine and juice into a saucepan then add the lemon zest and juice.
- Bring to a boil with the cinnamon, cloves and caster sugar. Stir to combine then gently drop in the pears. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- This can take longer if the pears are not ripe, test with a skewer to make sure they are tender. Gently skim off any surface froth or scum.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat but leave the pears in the poaching liquid until ready to serve. The longer they are left in the liquid, the deeper the colour will be.
- Toast the brioche and top with blue cheese to serve with the pears.