Baked pears with vanilla and bay leaf syrup
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel the pears, leaving on the stalks, then slice a sliver off the bottom of each so they sit flat.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on a lightly floured bench. Sit a pear in the centre and bring the pastry up around the pear.
- Trim the excess, then seal to ensure the pear is completely enclosed. Use the excess to make leaf shapes and press onto the pastry.
- Whisk the egg and milk together then brush all over the pears.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile make the syrup by putting all the ingredients into a saucepan and then bring to a boil.
- Stir then let reduce, this should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve the pears hot with the syrup poured over and softly whipped cream on the side.