Slow-cooked beef, tomato and paprika pie
Photo by Babiche Martens
|300 g||Shin beef, thinly sliced|
|500 g||Beef rump steaks, thinly sliced|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|1||Carrot, peeled, sliced and finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 Tbsp||Smoked paprika|
|¼ cup||Red wine|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, or beef stock|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
- To make the filling, put all the ingredients into a large saucepan or a slow-cooker and leave to simmer for at least four hours. Let cool before spooning into the pastry.
- To make the pastry, cut the butter into small cubes.
- Pour the flour and salt into a bowl then rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough water and lemon to bring the mixture together. Knead for one minute then wrap in greaseproof paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry and line into one large or individual greased pie tins. Fill, then top and brush with the eggwash (1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp milk).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.