Slow cooked beef, tomato and paprika pie
( SERVES 8 )
|300 g||Shin beef, (thinly sliced)|
|500 g||Beef rump steaks, (thinly sliced)|
|1||Onion, (finely chopped)|
|1||Carrot, (peeled and sliced then finely chopped)|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary|
|1 Tbsp||Smoked paprika|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|¼ cup||Red wine|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, (or beef stock)|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
- To make the filling, put all the ingredients into a large saucepan or a slow cooker and leave to simmer for at least four hours. Let cool before spooning into the pastry.
- To make the pastry, cut the butter into small cubes.
- Pour the flour and salt into a bowl then rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough water and lemon to bring the mixture together. Knead for one minute then wrap in greaseproof paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Roll out the pastry and line the greased pie tins. Fill, then top and brush with the eggwash(1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp milk).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.