Roasted lamb shoulder with pita and rocket
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
|300 g||Lamb, or 150g per person|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1||Red wine, enough to cover|
|2||Oranges, zest and juice|
|5||Garlic cloves, 3 whole and 2 crushed (optional)|
|1 to serve||Pita bread|
|2 cups||Natural yoghurt|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|¼ cup||Fresh mint, shredded|
|1 to serve||Rocket|
- Allow 150g of lamb per person and ask your butcher to trim as much fat from the shoulder as possible.
- Place in a roasting pan, season well with salt and pepper and just cover with red wine, and the zest and juice of 2 oranges.
- Add some whole garlic cloves if you like. Roast in a moderate oven until fall-apart tender. Rest and keep warm.
- Warm some pita bread in the oven. Mix together 2 cups of plain natural yoghurt with the juice and zest of a lemon, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and 2 crushed garlic cloves (optional).
- For a fresh touch, add some shredded mint.
- Slice the lamb into chunky pieces, put a bowl of rocket on the table and let guests make their own pita pockets, moistening the filling with the yoghurt sauce.