|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|¼ cup||Cocoa powder|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Chocolate bits, chopped nuts or sultanas|
- Preheat oven to 165C. Position oven rack in middle of oven.
- Line the base of a 20x30 cm sponge roll tin with greaseproof or baking paper and grease lightly.
- Soften the butter, add sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add egg and beat in thoroughly.
- Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together and stir into liquid.
- Stir in chosen addition (or leave out if preferred).
- Spread into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The top will be set but the mixture will appear softish.
- Cool in tin. This can then be iced, drizzled with chocolate or dusted with icing sugar. When topping is set, cut with a sharp knife into squares or bars.