Plum sauce with feta cheese straws
Photo by Babiche Martens
Makes 1.5 litres of sauce and approximately 24 straws
|1 tsp||Ground cloves|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Chilli powder|
|2 cups||Brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Root ginger, (finely chopped)|
|2½ cups||White wine vinegar|
- To make the sauce, halve the plums and remove stones. Roughly chop.
- Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan or preserving pan. Bring to the boil while stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the sauce is the consistency you prefer.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal. This sauce will keep for at least six months.
- To make the cheese straws, preheat oven to 190C. Grease an oven tray.
- Sift the flour, mustard and paprika into a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in both cheeses.
- Lightly beat the egg and add to the mixture. Stir until a dough is formed then roll out on a floured surface, approximately 5mm thick. Slice into strips then transfer to the tray and cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden.