Watercress, radicchio, mozzarella, grape and walnut salad
Grant Allen adapted this recipe from food author and self-taught cook, Maggie Beer.
|1 to taste||Watercress|
|1 to taste||Grapes|
|½||Lemon, finely sliced|
|1 to taste||Mozzarella cheese|
|1 to serve||Cracked black pepper|
- Toast some walnuts.
- Pick over the watercress and tear some radicchio into small pieces.
- Cut the red grapes in half and toss all these together in a bowl with pieces of finely sliced lemon.
- Arrange on your plates and break up some fresh mozzarella to top.
- Dress with a vinaigrette made from a third of a cup of walnut oil, 1 tablespoon of capers and 1 tablespoon of sherry or cider vinegar.
- Grind a generous amount of black pepper over the salad.
TIP use red witlof instead of radicchio and slices of bocconcini. Buy walnut oil in small quantities. All nut oils are expensive and can become rancid quite quickly. Use them sparingly, mix them with other oils to extend their use and always keep in a cool dark place, even the fridge.