Blackberries with hazelnut meringues and vanilla cream
( SERVES 4 )
- To make the meringues; whisk the egg whites until they reach a stiff foam, then add the salt and the lemon juice.
- Continue whisking while adding a little sugar at a time to create a glossy meringue.
- Finely chop the hazelnuts or place into a food processor and pulse until fine. Add the hazelnuts to the meringue.
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Line a baking tray and either pipe the meringues or use a teaspoon. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the meringues are dry and crisp.
- Allow to cool. If not using straight away, put into a sealed container.
- Serve with plenty of fresh blackberries and cream whisked with the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean. Dust with icing sugar.