Roast duck, crisp potatoes and asparagus
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 220C. Wipe the duck inside and out with kitchen paper.
- Crush the garlic and put inside the duck with the celery, bay leaves, onion and one orange, halved. Season inside and out, then rub the skin with olive oil.
- Place into a roasting dish and pour over the wine or port. Roast for 30 minutes, then baste with the liquids in the dish. Slice and add the oranges.
- Cook for a further 40 minutes, then remove to a platter with the oranges. Cover with foil and let rest.
- Tip off any remaining fat then add the stock and boil on the stove top while scraping and stirring until reduced. Strain into a suitable gravy boat or jug and check for seasoning.
- Par-boil the potatoes in salted water. When tender, drain then return to the saucepan, cover and let dry out over a medium heat. Shake to rough them up a bit then put in a roasting dish. Rub with duck fat and season well. Cook for about 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes.
- Trim the ends off the asparagus and either grill or boil until just tender.