Photo by Babiche Martens
Once you've mastered how to cook the rice, sushi-making becomes an outlet for creativity with a myriad choice of flavour combinations.
- To make the sushi, soak the rice for 30 minutes in cold water.
- Drain the rice under running water until the water is clear.
- Put the rice into a saucepan, cover with the water and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 20 minutes without removing the lid.
- Mix together the vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Remove the rice from the pot and spread onto a flat tray.
- Stir the rice continuously while sprinkling over the vinegar mixture until the rice is cool.
- Place one sheet of nori on the sushi mat. Wet your fingers before spreading the rice - 1cm thick - over the nori, leaving a 3cm space at the far end.
- Smear wasabi along the front edge, add a little pickled ginger and a sprinkling of soy.
- Add the chosen filling then roll with the sushi mat to make a tight roll, squeezing as you go.
- Remove mat, slice rolls and arrange more of the toppings on top of each before serving.