Empanadas with tomato salsa
( SERVES 4 )
|3 cups||Plain flour|
|4 Tbsp||Butter, (or lard)|
|½ cup||Water, (cold)|
|1 tsp||White vinegar|
|2 tsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, (finely chopped)|
|3 cloves||Garlic, (minced)|
|800 g||Beef mince|
|½ cup||Beef stock|
|¼ cup||Red wine|
|2 tsp||Tomato paste|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|10||Pitted black olives, (finely diced)|
|2||Jalapeno chilli, (or more if you desire)|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, (to season)|
|3||Eggs, (boiled, chopped)|
- To make the empanadas; sift the flour and salt together then rub in the butter or lard.
- Beat together the water, egg, egg white and vinegar. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in.
- Mix until combined then turn out and knead until you have a soft dough. Wrap and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the filling; heat the oil in a fry pan then add the onion and garlic. When soft add the beef mince, and brown.
- Add the wine, stock, paste, sugar, olives, chillies, salt and pepper then simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease or line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll the pastry and cut into 10-15cm circles depending on the size you prefer.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture on the pastry, top with chopped egg then brush the edges with water, fold over and seal. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- To make the salsa; combine all the ingredients and let sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to develop.