Chilli beef with rice, yoghurt, coriander and lemon
( SERVES 6 )
|1½ kgs||Chuck steak, sliced|
|¼ cup||Plain flour|
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|1 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|3 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|1||Onion, finely sliced|
|1||Red capsicum, deseeded and finely diced|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 cup||Beef stock|
|½ cup||Vegetable stock|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|1 Tbsp||Chilli sauce, such as Culley's, Kaitaia Fire, Hot Samoan Boys or Tabasco|
|2||Red banana chillies|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|1 to serve||Rice|
|1 to serve||Yoghurt|
|1 to serve||Spring onion, sliced|
|1 to serve||Coriander|
|1 to serve||Lemon, cut into wedges|
- Toss the sliced beef with the flour, then season.
- Heat the vegetable and peanut oil together in a large saucepan. Add the beef and brown. Remove then add the cumin seeds, garlic, onion and capsicum.
- Cook together until soft then return the beef to the mix. Add the brown sugar, paprika, both stocks, wine and chilli sauce.
- Finely slice the banana chillies and add with the tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 4 hours, stirring occasionally and add water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Serve the chilli beef with rice, yoghurt, spring onions, coriander and wedges of lemon to squeeze over.