Malaysian chilli sauce with channai roti
Photo by Babiche Martens
Makes 1½ cups of chilli sauce
|½ cup||White sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|¼ cup||Lime juice|
|6||Bird's eye chillies|
- To make the chilli sauce, put the sugar, water and fish sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, pour into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a jar and refrigerate. This chilli sauce can be refrigerated for up to three months.
- To make the roti, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre then add the ghee and enough water to bind the dough.
- Tip on to an oiled bench and knead for 5 minutes then return to the bowl, cover and let rest for two hours.
- Divide the dough into 10 small balls. Using a rolling pin, roll out one at a time until thin enough to see through.
- Fold the dough into three by bringing the top end to the middle then fold up the bottom end.
- Bring in each side to the centre, then cook in a greased pan for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until golden.