Seafood Stew with Chickpeas and Saffron Aioli
( SERVES 4 )
With the change in the weather, a new season of food has begun.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||White wine|
|2 sprigs||Fresh thyme|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes, (can)|
|400 g||Chickpeas, can, rinsed and drained|
|500 ml||Chicken stock|
|1½ kgs||Seafood, assorted (scallops, snapper, calamari, etc)|
|1 bunch||Fresh parsley|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Slice the garlic. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan, then cook the garlic, anchovies, bay leaves and thyme until the anchovies have melted and the garlic is golden.
- Add the wine, simmer for 2 minutes, then add in the tomatoes, chickpeas and stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Starting with the thicker pieces, add the 1.5kg of seafood. Add the cockles and cook until they open.
- Chop the parsley and sprinkle over the stew. Taste for salt and pepper and add if necessary.
- Pour the stew into a large serving dish and drizzle the aioli over the top.
- Saffron Aioli: Place the garlic and a good pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor and purée to a smoothish paste.
- Add the yolks and saffron, then, with the motor running, slowly pour in the oil until the mixture becomes reasonably thick.
- Add the lemon juice, then taste for salt.