Although I like the theory of chilled soups, in practice they can be a bit effete - except gazpacho. It's almost a liquid salad - totally refreshing. With apologies to Andalusia, I've added some avocado to this traditional dish.
- Finely dice cucumber, red and green pepper and, if you fancy, red onion.
- Soak the white bread under cold water and squeeze dry.
- In a blender blitz the wet bread, cloves of peeled garlic and chopped sun-ripened tomatoes (you could use canned but this really is a height of summer soup so wait until the tomatoes are peaking).
- Add a good glug of avocado oil, the juice of the limes and enough water to a make a thick slurry in the blender.
- Pour over the other chopped ingredients.
- Season with tabasco, salt and pepper and more lime juice if required. Chill for an hour.
- To serve: Add ice cubes to the soup and more water if the soup is too thick.
- Drop a good amount of diced avocado onto the top of the soup and at least 2 tbsp of avocado oil.
- Use glass bowls if possible, and offer some robust grilled bread.