Poulet au vinaigre (chicken in vinegar)
( SERVES 6 )
I recommend using an excellent red wine vinegar such as the beautiful mellow Mass Portell Merlot vinegar I bought at Sabato, which stocks an amazing range of gourmet vinegars.
- Season skin-on chicken thighs (bone in or out to your taste) with salt and pepper.
- Brown in melted sizzling butter. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish. Add ¹/³ cup red wine vinegar and ¹/³ cup of water. Scrape all the pan residue into the liquid and pour over the chicken.
- Cover with foil and place in a medium oven until the chicken thighs have cooked (at least 20 mins). Remove the chicken to a serving dish and keep warm
- Return the liquid to the pan you cooked the chicken in. Put on the heat and add 3 peeled, sliced garlic cloves and another ¹/³ cup of red wine vinegar, and 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Reduce over the heat to a sauce-like consistency, then swirl in a knob of hard butter to give it a gloss. Season with salt and pepper and add a good amount of finely chopped fresh parsley or French tarragon.
- Pour over the chicken and serve immediately with simple vegetables, such as boiled baby potatoes and beans.