Classic carrot cake
( SERVES 12 )
|2 cups||Caster sugar|
|1¼ cups||Rice bran oil|
|1 cup||Pecan/ Walnuts, roughly chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Canned crushed pineapple|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1½ tsp||Baking soda|
|2 cups||Carrots, grated|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line the cake tin.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until well combined and creamy. Slowly add the oil and continue beating. Stir in the pineapple and nuts.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold into the mixture.
- Fold in the carrot and the sultanas. Pour into the cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour. Test with a skewer - if the skewer is sticky, bake for a further 5-10 minutes. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before turning out to let cool while making the icing.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together until smooth, then spread on to the cake.
Chef's tip: Lightly roast the walnuts and pecans together before adding to the carrot cake. This will add a lovely toasty flavour. Soften the cream cheese or use the spreadable alternative to give a magnificent creamy icing.