Rhubarb and vanilla jam on buttermilk pikelets
Photo by Babiche Martens
Rhubarb and vanilla jam
|350 g||White sugar|
|2 tsp||Lemons, (finely grated)|
|2 tsp||Crystallised ginger, (finely sliced)|
|60 ml||Orange juice|
- To make the jam, chop the rhubarb then put into a large pot with all the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 45 minutes, stirring often, then pour into warm, sterilised jars.
- To make the pikelets, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk the egg with the sugar, vanilla and buttermilk. Combine with the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat a frying pan and add butter. When bubbling add spoonfuls of the mixture and cook. When small bubbles appear, turn over and cook until golden.
- Serve warm with the rhubarb jam and yoghurt.