Grapefruit marmalade with orange wholemeal scones
Makes approximately 1 litre of grapefruit marmalade and 12 scones.
- To make the jam, grate the skins off the grapefruit and the lemons. Cut the fruit in half and squeeze through a sieve into a large pot, reserving the pips.
- Bruise the cardamom with the flat side of a heavy knife. Wrap the cardamom and pips in the muslin then wrap and tie.
- Put the muslin into the pot with the fruit skins and the water. Bring to a boil and cook for one hour. Remove the muslin and discard
- Stir in the sugar and bring back to a boil, then boil for 15 minutes. Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.
- To make the scones: preheat the oven to 200C. Grease or line a baking tray. Sift both flours with the salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir through the zest and sugar, then rub the butter in with your fingertips until it resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg with the milk, cream and lemonade then stir in with a knife. Tip on a bench and lightly knead, dusting with more flour if needed.
- Cut into 12 scones, brush with milk and sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve with the marmalade and cream.