The big chilli
( SERVES 20 )
This is all about help yourself. Set up a self-serve area with a big pan of chilli, a big bowl of plain rice, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped red or spring onions, corn chips, greens, lemon or lime wedges, bowls, forks, and paper napkins. Then score the best seat in the house while your guests make their own combos. Makes enough for 20!
|3 kgs||Beef mince|
|1 kg||Beef sausages|
|400 g||Tomato paste|
|1 Tbsp||Black pepper - ground|
|3 Tbsp||Crushed garlic|
|5 Tbsp||Ground cumin|
|6 Tbsp||Chilli powder, medium spice|
|¼ cup||Dijon mustard|
|3 Tbsp||Dried basil|
|3 Tbsp||Dried oregano|
|4 cans||Chopped tomatoes|
|3 cans||Red kidney beans|
|½ cup||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|½ cup||Dry red wine, optional|
|½ cup||Pitted black olives, optional|
- In a large pot cook finely chopped onions in olive oil.
- Take the skin off beef sausages ( I used Angus Pure), crumble this into the onions, add beef mince and brown off the mixture. A potato masher can be useful here to break up the sausage meat.
- Turn down the heat. Stir in ground black pepper, tomato paste, minced garlic, ground cumin, med chilli powder, Dijon mustard, salt, dried basil and dried oregano.
- Add drained chopped tomatoes, drained kidney beans, the zest and juice of 2 lemons, chopped parsley and red wine (optional). Stir well and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Taste to check seasoning. If you like, you can add chopped pitted black olives at the end. Keep warm until ready to serve but this can easily be made ahead of time and reheated.