Madeira cakes with cream cheese icing and toffee pears
Photo by Babiche Martens
Makes 12 cakes
|180 g||Butter, softened|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|1¼ cups||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
- To make the cakes, preheat the oven to 180C. Grease tins or use baking papers. Cream the butter and sugar until pale then add the vanilla and lemon.
- Whisk the eggs and add a third at a time, alternating with the flour and ground almonds - folding together gently until the mixture is all combined.
- Spoon into the moulds and bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together until smooth, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
- To cook the pears, heat a frying pan, add the butter and sugar. When bubbling, add the pear slices and cook for 1 minute on each side or until caramelised. Remove and place on greaseproof paper.
- Ice the cakes generously then top with the pears, before serving with yoghurt or cream.