Coconut cakes with grilled pineapple and vanilla cardamom syrup
( MAKES 12 )
|180 g||Butter, softened|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|½ cup||Coconut cream|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
- To make the cakes, preheat the oven to 180C. Grease individual cake tins or use cake papers, or muffin tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Separate the egg yolks and the whites.
- Add one egg yolk at a time to the mixture while gently mixing to incorporate the ingredients, then stir in the coconut cream.
- Fold in the flour and coconut. Whisk the egg whites until soft, then fold into the cake mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking tins or papers, then bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together until smooth.
- To glaze the pineapple, heat a pan, add the butter then the tablespoon of sugar. When bubbling, add the pineapple then cook for a minute on each side or until golden. Let cool.
- To make the syrup, simmer the sugar, water, cardamom and vanilla together in a saucepan for 20 minutes. Let cool. Ice cold cakes, top with pineapple and a little cool syrup.