Coconut cakes with grilled pineapple and vanilla cardamom syrup
( MAKES 12 )
|180 g||Butter, softened|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Coconut cream|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
- To make the cakes, preheat the oven to 180C. Grease individual cake tins or use cake papers, or muffin tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Separate the egg yolks and the whites.
- Add one egg yolk at a time to the mixture while gently mixing to incorporate the ingredients, then stir in the coconut cream.
- Fold in the flour and coconut. Whisk the egg whites until soft, then fold into the cake mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared baking tins or papers, then bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together until smooth.
- To glaze the pineapple, heat a pan, add the butter then the tablespoon of sugar.
- When bubbling, add the pineapple then cook for a minute on each side or until golden. Let cool.
- To make the syrup, simmer the sugar, water, cardamom and vanilla together in a saucepan for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Ice cold cakes, top with pineapple and a little cool syrup.