Bacon-wrapped beef, olive oil mash and bearnaise
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|800 g||Eye fillets of beef, sliced into 4 portions|
|1||Freshly ground black pepper|
|600 g||Agria potatoes|
|1 cup||Vegetable stock|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- Season each portion of beef then wrap tightly with the bacon.
- Boil the potatoes with the stock and extra water to cover if needed. When the potatoes are soft, drain then mash with the olive oil. Season, cover and keep warm.
- Heat a heavy-based frypan. Add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. When hot, add the bacon-wrapped beef, sear for 1 minute on all sides then cover and cook for eight minutes so it is medium.
- Remove from the heat, cover with tinfoil and let rest.
- To make the bearnaise sauce: Melt the butter. Place the vinegar and shallots into the saucepan and simmer until the liquid has reduced to 1 Tbsp.
- Pour this liquid into a small bowl, which needs to sit over a larger bowl of simmering water.
- Add the yolks and whisk until foamy and they begin to thicken. Add lemon juice to taste and extra water if the sauce becomes too thick. Season.