Chocolate and beetroot cupcakes with raspberry ganache
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in bowl suitable for heating over hot water. Place over a half-filled saucepan of barely simmering water and stir chocolate with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon until chocolate starts to melt. Once half the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat.
- Cream the sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Mix the milk, beetroot, oil and melted chocolate and stir this into the egg mixture.
- Mix together flour and baking powder, fold into the wet ingredients. Spoon the batter into cupcake/muffin cases about ¾ full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Raspberry ganache - 1 Cook raspberries until soft then strain liquid and return liquid to the heat. Reduce liquid to a concentrate.
- Heat cream and chocolate in a bowl over a pot with simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Once melted and smooth remove from the heat and whisk in butter.
- Add in the raspberry concentrate and essence, stir until combined. Leave to thicken then spoon into a piping bag and top cupcakes.
- If you want to thicken the mixture, add more melted chocolate.