Ginger marmalade steamed pudding with cardamom custard
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|4||Eggs, yolks only|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
- To make the custard; bring the milk, cream, cardamom and vanilla to a simmering point in a heavy based saucepan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale then add the warm milk mixture. Continue to whisk, then return to a clean saucepan and cook over a moderate heat for at least 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- To make the pudding, cream the butter and sugar until pale. Add the egg, ginger and orange zest, then beat well.
- Sift the flour and salt then fold into the pudding mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk then add. Spoon the mixture into individual pudding dishes, spoon the marmalade over the top and bake in a bain-marie for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve the puddings hot with the custard.