Self-saucing chocolate puddings with tamarillos
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|100 g||Self raising flour|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder, Dutch|
|50 g||Dark chocolate, finely chopped|
|30 g||Butter, melted|
- To poach the tamarillos, make a cross on the base of each tamarillo using the point of a sharp paring knife.
- Put them into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 30 minutes then peel off the skin.
- Put the peeled fruit into a saucepan and add the sugar, water, juice and vanilla. Simmer for 30 minutes then let cool.
- To make the pudding, preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly butter a 1.25 litre baking dish or use 4 x 120ml moulds.
- Sift the flour, salt, sugar and cocoa together into a bowl. Add the chocolate then the combined milk, butter and egg and fold together. Pour into the dish or individual dishes.
- Mix the topping ingredients together and pour carefully over the pudding, then bake between 15 (individual) and 35 minutes or until the pudding is puffy in the centre and springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve the chocolate pudding hot with the poached tamarillos and runny cream.