Galician fish pie
There was a time in my youth when my mother had a series of Spanish couples who came to work for us and who came from Galicia, which is that area of northwestern Spain above Portugal, famous for its fish.
- Pound the almonds in a mortar until they're a rough paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan that will go in the oven and slowly cook the garlic, onions and bay leaf for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, season and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the almonds and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC . Put the sliced potatoes in a colander, pour some boiling water over them and then refresh under a cold tap.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a bowl and line the bottom and sides of the saute pan with slices of potato, leaving enough to put on the top. Then fill it with alternating layers of the tomato mixture and the fish fillets, starting with the tomato mix.
- Cover with the remaining potato, dot with butter and cook in oven for 40 minutes.