Pear Saxony pudding
- Brush pudding moulds with softened butter, coat with caster sugar to create a lining.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a mixing bowl, coat pears in the sugar and saute in a frying pan until caramelised, add a little water as you go to stop pears from burning.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, add flour and make a roux, cooking this over low heat for four minutes.
- In another saucepan, bring milk and vanilla to the boil.
- Beat a little of the milk at a time into the roux, cook over slow heat until it comes to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Beat in first amount of egg whites, then mix in yolks one at a time, making sure each one is mixed in well.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, continue to whisk, sprinkling in sugar until firm and shiny.
- Fold one third of meringue into mixture then gently fold remaining amount. Fold in hazelnuts and pear.
- Fill each moulds three-quarters full, place into tray filled halfway with boiling water and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a minute before unmoulding. Delicious served with a chocolate sauce.