Baked mozzarella, grilled aubergine, capsicums and rocket sauce
|1 to brush||Olive oil|
|100 ml||Olive oil|
|4 Tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1 splash||Balsamic vinegar|
|200 g||Mozzarella cheese|
|1 handful||Fresh thyme|
- Cut the aubergines lengthways into 5mm-thick slices. Brush each one with olive oil, then place under a preheated grill and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown with slightly charred edges.
- Quarter and seed the capsicums, then cook under the grill until the skin has blistered and blackened. Wrap in a several sheets of newspaper, then leave to cool. Peel the skin from the capsicums and discard, then slice the flesh into thick strips.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C. Arrange the aubergine slices in a shallow heatproof dish, then place thin slices of mozzarella on top. Scatter the parmesan over the top, then sprinkle with thyme and lemon juice.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and the parmesan has coloured. Spoon the rocket sauce over the top, splash with balsamic vinegar, then serve.
- To prevent the pesto becoming a compost-green colour, toss the rocket leaves in a small amount of the olive oil just before placing in the food processor. Set the remaining oil aside.
- Add the almonds, garlic, lemon juice and sugar to the blender. Blend well, stir in the remaining oil and grated parmesan, then season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.