Poached tamarillos, caramel sauce and cream
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Cut a cross on the end of each tamarillo with the point of a sharp paring knife.
- Pour water and wine into a saucepan. Add sugar, star anise, vanilla and cinnamon. Add tamarillos and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove tamarillos and let cool. Keep the syrup simmering for a further 15 minutes before turning off. Peel the skins from the cooled tamarillos then return to the syrup while making the caramel sauce.
- Put the water and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil without stirring until dark golden. As soon as the colour is reached, pour in the cream, turn the heat off and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir to create a smooth sauce.
- Return the tamarillos and syrup to the heat, warm together then serve in bowls with the caramel sauce and extra cream on the side.